The Moose Jaw Times was founded by J.N. McDonald as a weekly, in 1889. The first edition rolled off the press April 2, 1889.
It was sold shortly after to Hamilton Lang, who was principal at Victoria School. Lang continued to publish the weekly until 1894 when Walter Scott, the first premier of the province, purchased the Times at a sheriff's sale. Scott hooked up with Thomas Miller, of Regina, publishing its first paper under the new ownership on June 30, 1894.
In 1904, the paper went semi-weekly and in 1906 the Evening Times was established. In 1920, the Times purchased the Daily News and, three years later, the Times Morning Herald was established. The morning edition was discontinued a few years later and the paper became the Times-Herald.
In 1945 the paper was sold to J.E. Slaight who, in turn, sold it to Roy Thomson, of Thomson Newspapers, in 1949. The Times-Herald was the sold to Hollinger Newspapers, in 1995, then to CanWest in 2000, and most recently has become part of the Transcontinental Media Group, in 2002.
The Times-Herald publishes Monday to Saturday, with a Sunday supplement, Moose Jaw This Week. Weekly circulation stands at about 59,220. The daily paper focuses on community news, with more than half of our editorial content written by our staff. However, we also subscribe to Canadian Press and Saskatchewan News Network.
Special supplements are produced annually, the biggest of which is the Community Pride edition, published the last weekend of March each year, highlighting new business in the city as well as updates on existing businesses.
The editorial staff at the Times-Herald has received countless writing awards over the years and continues to win awards for both writing and photography.
As well as publishing the daily Times-Herald and weekly This Week, the company is also capable of handling commercial printing.
The Times-Herald main office moved to its present location, 44 Fairford St. W., on May 22, 1954. The press facilities are housed nearby at 444 River St. W.
In 2000, The Moose Jaw Times-Herald was sold by Hollinger and purchased by Winnipeg-based CanWest Global Communications. In August 2002, The Times-Herald was purchased by GTC Transcontinental Inc.
This is a Great place to work & Great people to be around. Great Atomsphere.