AMB Driving School is an excellent "beginner drivers" school! Here's why:
- Clear and informative in-class instruction, with a friendly in-class instructor (look for Peter!).
- Safe and instructive in-car lessons with an outstanding in-car instructor (ask for Naushad!).
- Very affordable prices, for superb preparation! (Trust me, I just got my G2 license today!)
- See their website for more information on prices... [ ambdriving.com ]
For these, but not limited to, these reasons, I highly recommend this driving school! AMB Driving School in Markham is well worth the investment!
I DO NOT recommend this driving school, for the below specified reasons:
1. They cheat in their advertisement. If you check the webpage, it says that if you register before a specific date, then you will get $100 off. Well, that 'special offer' is there all the time: there is no discount, it is simply a cheap marketing technique and they charge you the full price all the time.
2. For the in-class lessons, the instructor will waste your time by giving you a 1 HOUR break for another 30-40 minutes of class, just to say that he has completed his in-class hours. You don't want to waste your time like that: either teach me something, or let me go!
3. When you pay for the package, the fees for pick-up and drop-off are included in the package. Wh@at happened with my instructor (Sandy) was that she made me take subway to get to some 'convenient-for-her' location, costing me about $50, and when I first tried to tell her that the pick-up and drop-off is her responsibility and I paid for it, she said she can do it but then she will not teach me the way she should (BLACKMAIL) and will not be responsible for covering the material.
4. Further, I paid $120 for the so called G2 package, which included the $75 for the pick-up, drop-off and the car to use for the exam, plus $45 for 1 hour of driving at the TEST location as a mock test. What she did instead was she counted the 1 hour of driving class starting from the 'pick-up' (of course the pick-up happened NOT at my place) and I ended up driving for 1 hour to the test location. THIS IS CHEATING! I did not receive what I paid for.
5. To sum up, I will give the information about the instructors: the in-class one kept telling how he was the worst driver and according to my count he has had over 5 major accidents (from his stories of "..this happened to me.."); the in-car instructor was pregnant (I mean 5-7 months), and all she thought about was how to drop-me off somewhere where she picks up the next student. I was in car when another student was driving and she was texting at that time, when a MAJOR accident was about to happen: a car almost hit the car from the side at a high speed.
To sum this all up, my experience here should warn you to do a bit more research and find a school that does not cheat, that teaches what it is supposed to teach, and ensures adequate safety for you on the road.
I took my lessons mostly at the AMB driving school North York locations at Sheppard and Willowdale, but I think they are pretty consistent throughout with same instructors rotating to different areas on different days of the week.
I thought that this would be a good driving school as per their website and the fact that apparently they claim to be the official driving school for all of Toronto District School Board, but no, that wasnt true.
They are unproffesional and once they take your money, forget customer service. Its even worse when you try to get your final certificate! - At the pick up location for the certificates the person who is supposed to give them out rarely shows up. I know this because I've often seen this because angry students or their parents would come to my in-class lessons to complain. This also happened in my case - I came to pick up my certificate an no one was there. I even called and confirmed with the person before coming and he never showed up or picked up the number he said I can reach him at when I got there. Luckily, I knew the instructor teaching that night and he was nice enough to give me the number of someone he knew who could issue a certificate for me. I had to be very persuasive though. I looked through all their filing cabinets while I waited and I found the forms myself and wrote one up while waiting for the new guy to get there. He signed it and thats all. I'm not even sure if they abide to any privacy laws cus I was able to go through all their files as I waited!
Aside from customer service though, I did learn some things about driving. However my driving instructor wasnt very good. He used the break a lot and would grab the wheel to help me out. This gave me a false sense of how good I was and surely I failed my driving test when I was on my own. I was really disatisfied! Especially since they tell you the day of the driving test about additional fees which they never mention before - something like an extra $110 for getting the car and instructor to go to the test with you.
More about the fees - they seem to have random other fees that they didnt mention to you initially. Like randomly when I was picking up my certificate they wanted me to pay an additional $20 for it just out of no where as the certificate processing fee or something. I ended up not paying it when someone else processed the certificate which makes me very suspicious about their company policies or the kind of people working there.
The only good thing about this school were some (only some) of the in class lesson instructors. I went to a few and I found 1 guy that actually did a really good job. I guess he just really liked teaching. Nevertheless though, all instructors in the in-class lessons skim the teaching time by at least an hour, finishing lessons way earlier and telling you to record on official records that the lesson finished later. I didnt mind leaving early but I felt kind of ripped off like perhaps they could've taught more. We also skipped some of the matterial and some of the instructors were keen to leave right after class.
Overall, Id say you should go here if you already know how to drive and all you want is to get a certificate as a discount on your insurance. If you are a new driver though, this might not be such a good place for you :(